Friday, February 5, 2010

Philodendron Xanadu

The Plant
Philodendron Xanadu's name reminds me of a happy place or Citizen Kane.

The Photo was taken outside of the National Library at Bugis. Nice arrangement of varied plants there. Will show more of the photos next week. The photo right shows the close-up a young leaflet unfurling.

I think the leaves and the way they hold themselves up from the stem have a really nice neat shape. I mean, despite being jagged and all.

The Personal-take
Handling the cut leaves would leave a smell on your hands. My mother thinks it smells pleasant. From my experience, I think it's foul. So I would refer to them, to the Malays at the farm, as "Daun Bau" (pronounced Dah-wun Bah-Wu) meaning something like "leaf with a funky smell".

No comments:

Post a Comment