Friday, February 19, 2010

Philodendron bipinnatifidum - Giant tree lover

The plant
I shall henceforth refer to this as the giant philodendron. I think that's how common plant names come about. Random arbitrary easier to remember names that catches on. In greek, "philo" refers to love, and dendron refers to tree. Featured here is the big Philodendron bipinnatifidum. Try saying it three times over. This philodendron plant is big, grows up to above an above average human height.

The picture was also taken at the national library at Bugis. It was interesting to find it in the same landscape, being contrasted with the petite philodendron xanadu. It was a windy day, and I like how the leaves in the picture are a bit blur from the swaying.

The personal-take
I thought i was lucky to also find a philodendron leaf unfurling for the 2nd time on the same day at the same place (see picture on right). It reminds me of a lettuce. It gives me a strange feeling to compare the giant unfurling leaf with the xanadu's unfurling leaf. I suppose everything grows at its own pace, though some are just destined to become a lot bigger than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment