Friday, February 12, 2010

Peltophorum pterocarpum - The Yellow Flame Tree

The Plant
The Yellow Flame tree, or Peltophorum pterocarpum is a common wayside tree that has been around for ages, steadily growing to provide shade around our nation. It used to be the 'every-other-tree', but I seem to notice that in recent years, there are increasingly diverse trees being planted and the yellow flame is not exactly everywhere anymore. I suppose the road-sweepers may welcome the change, as they must be quite lot of work when they shed their tiny leaflets, often after dry weather. It came from the coastal areas of Peninsula Malaysia.

The Picture
Rather than featuring the Yellow Flame tree with an obvious picture of it blooming with its bright yellow inflorescence, I thought this was a nice take of the tree with its purple seedpods. These seed pods may remain on the tree for several months. Taken one evening at Dhoby Ghaut while watching the Thaipusam festival.

The personal-take
I remember that from a kitchen's window from my grandma's house, which was at the 4th floor of a HDB block, I would see 4 yellow flame trees. I used to imagine that these 4 trees were crazy and at odds with each other, because neither of them would ever bloom, shed, bear new fruit, or sprout new leaves at the same time. Still, it was nice to observe the four different seasons at one time.

My grandma has since moved. Perhaps I should visit back one day to see how the trees are doing.

I don't think just one post is enough to do the Yellow flame tree justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment