Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Caryota No - Giant Fishtail Palm

The Plant & Picture
Also known as the Caryota No, the trunks contain a starch that can be used to make sago. Sometimes I don't know how I can miss noticing the Giant Fishtail palms around me. It's a giant as seen in the picture on top, it easily grows to be as tall as a 5-storey carpark, dwarfing the other trees around it.

The picture (right most) also features the inflorescence, which can reach up to 2 metres in length. I think it looks like dread locks. Very pretty.

The Personal-take
Taken from the top level of the carpark at Ang Moh Kio central (it's really crowded on Sundays), I got a close up shot of the sprouting new leaf. I really like the different patterns and texture of the leaves when looked at from different perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment