Friday, March 5, 2010

Archontophoenix alexandra - Alexander Palm

The Plant
The Archontophoenix alexandra or Alexander Palm is quite common in landscapes. It used to be one of plants featured in "primary school textbook" - I feel it's like the yellow flame tree of palms because it's just as common. I think its popularity is perhaps partially due to how they are easy to maintain. It seems that landscapers like this palm so much that they even introduced similar ones - the Betel nut palm, the fox tail palm, and especially the carpentaria palm, from which it is difficult to distinguish the Alexander palm from. After comparing the photos, I think the one-distinguishing feature is the string-like flowers/inflorescence and vivid red fruits. The leaves are pinnate, arranged in a v-shaped formation.

The Pictures
I found it challenging to capturing the images of the tall palm trees - it was difficult to get the distinguishing features, and yet balance the composition of the frame - so that it was neither too sparse nor contained other clutter.

For the first time, I edited the pictures a bit (i'm usually too lazy) to adjust the colour, as it was taken with a strange white balance, thus the 2 pictures (taken at the same occasion) have different-coloured-sky. I hope my efforts helped to bring out the vivid red of the berries.

The Personal-take
Along the way from my home to the nearest bus-stop, I would have to walk pass a row of Alexander palm - the strings of jewel-like red beads of fruits are really cheerful.

I like the name, 'Alexander palm', after Princess Alexandra of Denmark. It reminds me, however, of the people named 'Alex' that I used to hang out, but have since drifted apart from then... A tinge of nostalgia, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment