Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Phoenix roebelenii - Miniature date palm

The Plant & The Pictures
The Phoenix roebelenii seems to be enjoying some popularity recently, being featured in quite many new landscapes.

With a simple shape - a slender trunk and attractive bushy leaves - they should be quite easy to use in an arrangement.

I wonder though, if the feature on the left is an effective landscaping design. As the date plants grow higher, the height of the plants are bound vary, and the proportion of crown (the upper part of the tree, i.e. the part above the trunk) to the trunk and the proportion of the arrangement would be, well, out of proportion. Although I know that, by that time, the plants would most probaby be replaced (it's probably cheaper to replace than properly maintain), I wonder if it's being fair to the plants themselves, for not being...able to live out their full potential/ lifespan.

The Personal-take
I didn't think much of the plant when I took the pictures, but after researching on them and staring at them for sometime. I feel that they have a very classic outline and elegant form. It must be difficult to shape the trunk though.

No comments:

Post a Comment