Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ruellia simplex 'Chi Chi' - Hardy pink petunia


The plant is also known as 'Chi Chi' Petunia and I like the way that sounds. Known as wild petunias, the Ruellia is a fairly established family of free flowering plants. The flowers are trumpet shaped.

The photo is dark and doesn't capture the delicate pink of the 'Chi Chi' well. There are other colours and names for the Ruellia simplex, for example, the purple type is known as Ruellia simplex 'Katie'.

The personal-take
Though it looks easy to maintain, I have yet to notice many of these plants being featured in landscape design. I suspect that it might be a messy grower. One that grows in twists and offshoots that betray the planned silhouette, but it's still just a suspicion.

I do like the leaves, though, I think it's rather refined.

No comments:

Post a Comment