Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Celosia argentea var plumosa - Pheonix's tail

The Plant is known as the "pheonix tail chicken crown flower" in Mandarin. Quite a crude name, actually. A potted plant grown for its inflorescence that is popular for its vibrant colours during the Lunar New Year festivities. Also, known as 'Plume Celosia'.

The Photo features the plants from a weird perspective? Well, it was taken from an overhead bridge. The plants were lined up outside a nursery or flora/landscaping shop. I wonder why they weren't afraid of people just taking them away. Maybe because Singapore's a safe country, or that they have too much stock.

The Personal-take
I appreciate the plants for their vibrancy and beauty. I can't help, however, feeling that they are somewhat overrated. Perhaps, I've gotten too used to them, and haven't grown to appreciate their form and beauty.

I do remember, from my childhood, that I liked to feel the flowers, stroke them. They have a waxy feathery texture. My grandma would tell me to stop plucking at them.

I think I should miss the Plume Celosia if one day, we all decide that it's time to get new Chinese New Year plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment